We will update this page with new information as it becomes available.
- 4/17/20: HIDOE enrichment and distance learning to continue for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year
- 4/2/20: HIDOE: News Release: Board approves request to modify graduation and standardized testing requirements
- 3/30/20: HIDOE: Flyer: Child Internet Safety Resources
- 3/24/20: HIDOE extends school facility closure through April 30, plans online resources and instructional packets
- 3/19/20: Update from Alakaʻi O Kauaʻi
- 3/19/20: HIDOE extends school closures, implements remote work to maintain essential functions
- 3/15/20: Hawaiʻi Department of Education extends spring break through March 27 for all public schools
- 3/15/20: Hawai‘i Department of Health: Additional test results received from private laboratories
- 3/13/20: Hawai‘i Department of Health Issues Spring Break Guidelines for Families to Take Action Against COVID-19
HIDOE: Grab-and-Go Student Meals2020GrabandGo
Message from William N. Arakaki, Kauai Complex Area Superintendent
Aloha, Kaua‘i ‘Ohana,
We hope this message finds you and your ‘ohana well. We realize that the extension of spring break for our keiki will cause disruption to our meal services. To help alleviate this, three of our Kaua‘i Complex Area schools have been designated to provide free grab-and-go breakfast and lunch for children 18 years or younger from public, charter, private and home schools. They will be able to pick up meals at the following:
- Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School
- Kapa’a High School
- Waimea High School
Weekdays at the following times:
- Breakfast: 7:30 to 8 a.m. Due to food safety, the meal must be consumed by 10 a.m.
- Lunch: 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Due to food safety, the meal must be consumed by 2 p.m.
All meals will be placed in containers. Meals will be located outside of the cafeteria, preferably closest to a driveway or other natural access point on the campus. There will be no access to the cafeteria.
For more information, please see the DOE’s COVID-19 updates webpage.
We will continue to support our keiki and ‘ohana to stay healthy and safe as we go through this difficult time TOGETHER!
William N. Arakaki
Kauai Complex Area Superintendent
Free and Low-Cost Internet
- Spectrum: Free internet access for students. Beginning March 16, Spectrum is offering free internet for 60 days to households with K-12 or college students who don’t already have a Spectrum subscription. To enroll, call 1-844-488-8395.
- Hawaiian Telcom: Free WiFi for households with students for a limited time. Some restrictions apply. For more information, contact (808) 643-8888.
- Comcast: Free internet essentials package. To sign up for a free internet essentials package for 60 days, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.
com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
- Charter: Free internet for 2 months.
- AT&T: COVID-19 response: Open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low-income families
- Verizon: Special offers, but following the FCC agreement.
- Sprint: Following the FCC agreement, providing unlimited data to existing customers, and, starting Tuesday, 3/17/2020, will allow all handsets to enable hot spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- T-Mobile: Following the FCC agreement, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge
Informational Resources for Families
- Hawaiʻi State Department of Health
- Hawaiʻi State Department of Health COVID-19 Daily Updates
- Explaining Coronavirus and Prevention to Kids
- Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- #COVIBOOK Supporting and reassuring children around the world
- Talking with children about Coronavirus Disease: Messages for parents, school staff, and others working with children
- What you should know about the coronavirus
- What to do if you are sick with the coronavirus
- Stop the spread of germs