Welcome to Alaka`i O Kaua`i, a tuition-free charter school in Koloa, Hawai`i, serving grades K-7. At Alaka`i O Kaua`i, we see the leader in your child. That’s why we’ve built an engaging educational experience that not only meets but exceeds the standards, with a focus on your child’s unique strengths and playful love of learning. Here, your child will be empowered for a lifetime of inspired learning and leadership.
Why Alaka`i O Kaua`i?
- Project-based learning
- Outdoor classroom
- Small class sizes
- Personalized education
- Social-emotional learning
- Credentialed staff educating keiki to excel in Hawai‘i State Standards
- Hawai‘iana and art studies
- Strong community connections
- Fully equipped gymnasium
- Beautiful mountainside location
- Field studies on school property
- Innovative, independent critical thinking
- Entrepreneurial and collaborative
- Family participation
- Offering daily bus service to and from Kapaa and Lihue
What Our Families Are Saying
“Our child loves going to school now…. The most positive and caring environment for our kids to flourish!”
“My grandson loves this school. I have seen amazing skills that he has learned.”
“We’re loving it! So glad to have this amazing school.”
“Great environment! We and our child appreciate our facilitators very much!”
“It’s an amazing school, and it really changed my son’s outlook on things. Awesome staff.”
Sherryann W. P.
“We love Alaka’i O Kaua’i!”
Surfrider Foundation Kauai Chapter
Alaka`i O Kaua`i Charter School teaches to the whole child by offering a balanced combination of academics, project-based learning, social-emotional learning, and the arts. Learners acquire and demonstrate 21st-century skills while embracing Hawaiian cultural traditions and values so that they will become successful and meaningful contributors to society.
We are proud to partner with Maker Learning Network, formerly iLEAD Schools Development, who have been successfully providing leading-edge, alternative education for over a decade.
Learn how we implement the Maker Learning Network model here.
- We believe that all children can be successful learners.
- We believe in the development of the whole child (academic, social, emotional).
- We believe children learn best when engaged in instruction.
- We believe that language and cultural diversity can be assets for teaching and learning.
- We believe that learning is more relevant to children when it engages them in projects that help solve problems that are important to them and their community.